Friday, January 28, 2011

Toned Legs!

Yes thats right!  I feel like I am actually getting some definition and gaining some strength.  Ah walking never felt so good.  The walk to school is about 20 minutes not to mention walking around the city.  I took my car for granted, the first few days here my calves and thighs hurt so bad from just walking! I am finally getting used to it though, it is actually nice to have a walk before you get to where you are going, ha!  By the end of this trip I hope enjoy walking enough that I can walk at UMKC instead of being lazy!

Today marks the halfway point in completing my language course.  Beginner's level obviously but I feel I have learned quite a lot.  I like my teacher because she does not speak in English unless she absolutely has to!  There is a lot of body language and confusing looks throughout the class but realistically it prepares you for being a foreigner.  We have learned a lot of basic phrases and a bit of conjugation but I feel I would have to study for years to even begin to express myself in Slovene.  I have a computer program for Slovene that I may continue after the course ends.

When I am not in school I spend time with friends in the city.  Coffee is bigger here than in America so coffee breaks are needed every few hours.  I think this is what keeps everyone on the streets so fast.  The pedestrians are very keen on making their way down the street.  I am used to walking on the right side of the sidewalk.  Here everyone walks wherever they can!  Its not a good idea to space out while walking because you might run into someone or a bicyclist will run you over.  Being from the midwest, I am also used to making way for others but I quickly learned that you are only to worry about yourself or you will look weird.  Maybe thats a city thing though!

Today is Friday! Woohoo! No early class tomorrow :)  The plan for the evening is to go to Metelčova with a group from school.  Metelčova is a cluster of artsy "squats" right next to my hostel.  They are these illegal clubs that attracts the local scene.  A lot of artists also hang out there and the entire area is covered in the neatest artwork.  I'll put pictures on Facebook soon.  Apparently the government tried to shut them down a few years ago but many people rioted for them to stay open and so they did.  Can you imagine that happening in the States?  Fat chance.  Don't worry everyone, the word illegal in front of anything gives it a bad feel but its not like that at all.  Already I've seen sketchier legit places.  Basically they just have a bunch of different clubs with different local music and a cheaper alcohol selection.  I believe the money goes to some local cause or group as well.  One night there was some good reggae, one night it was underground punk but its all been good so far.  I feel very safe, and I'm staying out of trouble so don't think I'm crazy! 


Another thing I have to get used to over here is the time differences.  A good time to go out is always after midnight.  We went to a club the other night around 10 and it was dead, midnight rolled around and the place was packed!  I am usually ready for bed at that time so I can hear the party going on all hours of the night because my window is right near the compound.

Upcoming plans include continuing to wait for my residency permit!  YAY!  I feel like I cannot focus on anything else until that dang thing comes in.  I still haven't been able to open my vaccum bags of clothes because I have no where to put them.  Ugh frustration.  Other than that I think I will take a hike up to the castle tomorrow.  The city center of Ljubljana is right next to this amazing hill with a castle overlooking the city and the river and I need to take some good pictures!

All I can say is I am having a great time.  The best thing about leaving your home is you leave all your established worries there as well.  I don't have to worry about balancing my time.  I get to start all over again and its so refreshing.  I have time to take naps and I am taking advantage.  I am so glad I took this opportunity to get out of my comfort zone.  I know not many others are able to do all of this so I am so thankful that I took the risk!

Čao!

Millie

1 comment:

  1. Darling Daughter:

    I was a bit concerned that you were neglecting your blog as it seemed there were long pauses in your entries, but then I see your eruption of thoughts ranging from social policy to personal security to exercise and physical health to philosophical and cultural analysis, and I am inclined to believe that your education has shifted from the classroom to a much larger vista. I am so pleased to hear that you are addressing annoyances, bureaucracies, sexual nuisances and limited space with cheery good will and a joy of discovery. Your observations are descriptive, positive and motivating, and I can’t wait to hear more. I was a bit concerned that we would be unable to speak via Skype and that you had no snail mail address, but those anxieties are assuaged knowing you are dealing with any matters as they come up, that you have comrades to assist, and that you are making use of good food, drink (not to excess) and rest to power you on. Don’t give up on the computer: Run your maintenance and spyware programs and email me some photos. Not everybody is on Facebook!

    Love you my dear
    Dad

    ReplyDelete