Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Šola

Dober Dan!

I wrote the previous post a few days ago and was just now able to post it.  Bottom line, my computer is plagued with crap and its absolutely impossible to sync the WiFi with this ancient machine (hint christmas present hint lol).

Anyway it is currently 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday and I am enjoying a relaxing evening in...still at the Hostel but that is alright for now!

Today marks the completion of my second day at the Winter School of Slovene and boy is it a challenge!  I must admit I am quite fascinated with the language all together but it is definitely not Spanish!  Anything with a J makes the Y sound and Š Č and Ž replace the sh ch and zh  sound Americans rely on!  I better be quick with this post because I've got to get back to homework!

Other than classes I've still been meeting new people and taking advantage of the nightlife.  It is so funny because a lot of American club music is also popular here as well.  I started cracking up when "Like a G6" came on in the bar and you could hear people singing the words!  Tomorrow one of the clubs is throwing an ERASMUS party.  ERASMUS is the European Exchange program throughout the EU.  I've been fortunate enough to lump myself in to this group even though I'm technically not an ERASMUS student.  They are putting on a bunch of student trips to different countries for cheap cheap cheap!!!  Gosh I never want to graduate! Students definitely have it made!

Today Vanessa and I enrolled for our student subsidized meals program.  We just had to buy a Slovenian Sim card and we get half priced meals in many of Ljubljana's restaurants!  The waiters simply hold our phones up to a receiving device and we get our meal discounted.  We had a 4 course meal today for 3 ish Euros! Heck yes!  We are also granted an affordable unlimited bus pass offered exclusively to students!  Maybe America should take some tips about treating their students right instead of cutting the budget for work study and pell grants.  I'm sure we would have a much happier and educated up and coming generation!

I've got to go finish my homework for the evening.

Dober Većer!

1 comment:

  1. What a great deal! Cheap meals and trips! I know what you mean about loving the student life. After finishing my 2nd Master's degree, I started wondering what I wanted to do next...your Uncle Tony looked at me like I was crazy.
    Hope you get your permit soon and can get into a regular routine, though everything sounds great right now!

    ReplyDelete